Squash was on a major sale recently at the store and as usual, I couldn't buy just a little. I bought something like 15 pounds of varying squashes. To start, I got spaghetti squash, acorn squash, and butternut squash. Little did I know, that the 5.5 lb butternut squash that I bought would go so far. Having never cooked butternut squash before, I scoured the internet for delicious sounding, but simple recipes that I could make for dinner. I came across this one in my searches and was very pleasantly surprised. It was just what we needed on a cold, rainy fall night. And nobody missed the meat in this vegetarian meal. :-)
Butternut Squash and Caramelized Onion Galette
Adapted from: Smitten Kitchen
1 pre-made pie crust (purchased or from scratch)
1-1.5 lb butternut squash, peeled and diced (1/2 inch dice will do)
2 TBSP olive oil
2 TBSP butter
1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
1/2 tsp salt
Fresh ground black pepper
Pinch of sugar
1/8 teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
3/4 cup fontina cheese, grated
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage leaves
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Toss squash pieces with olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and fresh ground black pepper to taste.
3. Roast on foil lined baking sheet for 30-40 minutes or until squash is tender, stirring it midway through cooking time.
4. While squash is roasting, melt butter in a heavy skillet (cast iron is best).
5. Add onion, remaining salt, and pinch of sugar to skillet. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft and lightly golden brown, about 20-30 minutes.
6. Add cayenne to onion mixture and stir.
7. When squash is done, remove from oven to cool slightly and raise the oven temperature to 400 degrees.
8. Mix squash, caramelized onions, cheese, and sage together in a bowl.
9. Roll the dough out into a 12-inch round (or unroll pre-packaged dough - it should already be about 12 inches).
10. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
11. Spread filling mixture over the dough, leaving a 1.5 inch border all the way around. Fold the border over the filling, pleating the edge to make it fit. The center will be open.
12. Bake 30-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve hot. Serves 6.
Before cooking:
The finished creation:
Recent Recipes
1 comments:


Nice Melissa. It looks delicious.