spoon

Recent Recipes

Moroccan Stuffed Acorn Squash

0

Category : , ,

Still attempting to use up my overabundance of winter squash, I found this recipe on the Martha Stewart website that seemed to have promise. I had never heard of or made bulgur wheat before, so I thought this would be a nice intro and a chance to expand my palate.

I read a few reviews that said the end result was bland, so I made some changes and additions to up the flavor. I loved the end result. It also reheats well in the microwave.

Moroccan Stuffed Acorn Squash

2 medium acorn squashes, halved and seeded
3/4 lb ground beef
1-2 tsp coarse salt
Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp cumin
1 pinch ground nutmeg
1/2 medium onion, finely diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 cup bulgur wheat
2 cups water
1/3 cup dried currants
1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place squashes cut sides down in a 9-by-13-inch casserole dish. Bake until tender, about 35 to 40 minutes.
2. While squash is roasting, brown the ground beef in a large pot with a tight-fitting lid over medium-high heat. Transfer beef to a bowl or plate using a slotted spoon. Keep about 2 TBSP fat in the pot; discard any excess.
3. Add onion and cook until slightly translucent.
4. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
5. Add 1 teaspoon salt and the bulgur and stir to combine.
6. Add the water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
7. Remove pot from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff bulgur with fork.
8. Add reserved beef, cinnamon, cumin, nutmeg, currants, parsley, and pine nuts. Season to taste with additional teaspoon of salt and black pepper.
9. Scrape out baked squashes, forming 1/2-inch-thick bowls. Fold flesh into bulgur mixture.
10. Divide filling mixture among squash halves and return to oven. Bake until warmed through and tops are browned, 12 to 14 minutes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment